Region 5: St. James & Trelawny
The parishes have a combined population of approximately 259,769 (STATIN: 2011 Population Census Report). There are 17 church assemblies, inclusive of five daughter works with combined a membership of 2,186.
ASSEMBLIES AND LEADERSHIP
|Ebenezer Tabernacle||Spicy Hill P.O., Brompton,||Nevada Jarrett|
|Christ Apostolic Church||Wait-A-Bit District, Wait-A-Bit P.O.||Stanley Watson|
|Christ Apostolic Sanctuary||Wait-A-Bit P.O.||Stanley Watson|
|Christ Tabernacle||Ulster Spring District ,Ulster Spring P.O.||Ambrose Hind|
|Emmanuel Tabernacle||Sawyers District, Sawyers P.O.||Ambrose Hind|
|Falmouth Garden UPC||Falmouth Gardens||Ambrose Hind|
|Heaven's Way UPC||Wilson?s Run District,Warsop P.O.||Hyacinth Uter|
|King's Chapel||Albion Road, Montego Bay||Frank Kellier|
|Kingsway Tabernacle||Lot 171 - 172 Pitfour Drive, Granville, Granville P.O.||Robert Edwards|
|Pentecostal Worship Center||Lot 1231-4 Portobello Meadows ,Montego Bay||Andrew Robinson|
|Praise Chapel||Montego Bay P.O.||Kenroy Salter|
|Providence Chapel||Flankers District ,Flankers P.A., Montego Bay||Purcell Pusey|
|Refuge Temple UPC||Country District ,Bounty Hall P.A.||Ambrose Hind|
|Warsop UPC||Warsop P.O.||Leslie Allen|
|Christ Apostolic Sanctuary||Wait-A-Bit, Trelawny||Stan Watson/Dudley Buckley|
|Falmouth Gardens UPC||Falmouth Gardens||Ambrose Hind/Stanley Levy|
|King's Chapel - Grange Pen||Greenwood, St. James||Frank Kellier/Edmundo Souza|
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE PARISHES
Facts on St. James
- A suburban parish, located on the northwest end of the island of Jamaica.
- Capital is Montego Bay.
- Named the second city of Jamaica, behind Kingston, in 1981.
- The parish is the birthplace of The Right Excellent Samuel Sharpe (died 1833), one of Jamaica’s Seven National Heroes.
- A fire, in 1795 and again in 1811, destroyed many parts of Montego Bay. After being rebuilt, it was again destroyed in 1831 by a rebellion led by Sam Sharpe.
- Sam Sharpe was hanged in the Montego Bay market place, which is today known as Sam Sharpe Square.
- Montego Bay is known presently for its tourist attraction.
- Sangster’s International, is located in Montego Bay.
Facts on Trelawny
- Located in the county of Cornwall in northwest Jamaica, is bordered by the parishes of Saint Ann in the east, Saint James in the west, and Saint Elizabeth and Manchester in the south.
- Its capital is Falmouth.
- Trelawny was named after William Trelawny, the then Governor of Jamaica. The first capital was Martha Brae located two miles (3 km) inland from Rock Bay.
- Trelawny is best known for its sugar estates and sugar factories.
- Birthplace of the famous athlete Usain Bolt.
- Falmouth became a thriving seaport and social centre. The town had two of its own newspapers; The Falmouth Post and The Falmouth Gazette.
- Trelawny was also home to the largest group of Maroons in the island.
- The Apostolics infiltrated the western end of the island with the apostolic doctrine, starting from Trelawny as early as the 1930s.