Region 7: Manchester & St. Elizabeth
The parishes have a combined population of approximately 341,805 (STATIN: 2011 Population Census Report). There are nine assemblies, inclusive of three which are in a pioneering or resuscitating stage and a membership of 530. There are four (4) ordained, 12 general licensed and eight (8) local licensed ministers executing ministerial functions on behalf of the Organization.
ASSEMBLIES AND LEADERSHIP
|Ebenezer Chapel||Moreland Street, Porus P.O.||Linton Llewellyn|
|El Bethel Cathedral||Job Lane ,Main Street, Christiana P.O.||Linton Llewellyn|
|First UPC of Mandeville||21A Brumalia Road, Mandeville||Dale Fisher|
|Heaven's Way Tabernacle||Crn Central Road & West Street ,Black River||Theophilus Archer|
|Hill Top UPC||Hill Top District, Parrottee P.A.||Theophilus Archer|
|Junction UPC||Market Street, Junction P.O.||Linton Llewellyn|
|Stanmore UPC||Stanmore District, Malvern P.O.||Roy Mills|
|Truth Tabernacle UPC||Slipe District, Slipe P.A. St. Elizabeth||Lovern Robinson|
|Vineyard UPC||Vineyard District, Box 111,Black River P.O.||Patricia Dennis|
|Hill Top UPC||Parrottee District, Hill Top||Theophilus Archer|
|Junction UPC||Junction, St. Elizabeth||Dale Fisher/Paul Waldo|
|Oxford UPC||Oxford District, St. Elizabeth||Dr. Lyndon Johnson|
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE PARISHES
The parish of Manchester is located in west-central Jamaica, in the county of Middlesex. Its capital, Mandeville, is a major business centre, and the only parish capital not located on the coast or on a major river.
Facts on Manchester
- Formed in 1814 as a result of the amalgamation of the parishes, St. Elizabeth, Clarendon and Vere.
- Mandeville Hotel, one of the oldest in the Caribbean, began operations in 1875.
- The first “Free Library” in Jamaica was established in 1938, and is the oldest Parish Library.
Facts on St. Elizabeth
- Known as the Bread basket parish
- One of Jamaica’s largest parishes and is located in the southwest of the island.
- County of Cornwall.
- Capital: Black River is an important seaport.
- Black River is the longest river on the island.
- Electric power was first introduced in Jamaica in a house called Waterloo in Black River in 1893.